Tuesday July 6 @ 8:30 pm – 10:30 pm
(if there are clouds/rain we’ll reschedule for Thursday July 8)
Suggested Donation $ 10 -30/person
Children and Families Welcome
“Let the water settle and you will see
the moon and the stars mirrored
in your own being.”
Please join an experiential evening for an intimate, educational and communal experience of the Summer Night Sky facilitated by Olivia Woodford. In contact with the night world, the mountain at rest and the crispness of the air, become better acquainted with the constellations and planets and the stories that have been told about them by peoples that came before us. Orienting to the North, South, East and West directions we will observe and experience the procession of the planets and stars that cross the landscape of night.
- The sun will be setting as we arrive with time for us to settle in, welcome each other and watch the stars begin to appear.
- Bring your own blanket, chair or mattress pad and find a place on the grass on the east side of the sacred fire council house.
- Wearing a face mask is welcome & optional.
- If you are ill or have symptoms of COVID-19, please cancel your reservation.
- Laying beneath the stars, Olivia Woodford will talk of the movements of the heavens, identify the constellations and the ancient stories told about them.
- All are welcomed to tell the stories they have come to know of these stars.
- Bring your own water and snacks – though we won’t be passing snacks.
- Suggested Donation: $10 – $30/person to honor our Olivia, our special guest and have a little extra to care for the land.
From the dawn of humanity, peoples worldwide have watched the movement of the heavens, embedded their stories and wisdom in the star configurations, and engaged the cosmic mystery by sitting beneath the canopy of the night sky and watching the drama unfold, much like people sit around a television screen do now – except these stars do not win Oscars; these stars emanate something that evokes an ancient and timeless presence.
Gathering near the dark of the moon, the features of the night sky are not diminished by the moon’s light. In this darkness, the sky is revealed in all its splendor. The Summer Night Sky is filled with stellar birds and is inspiring in its brilliance and beauty.
For our ancestors, the constellations and movements of the heavens provided a calendar for when to hunt, farm, travel, and set festival dates. It functioned as their Wikipedia, with all the wisdom of their culture embedded into the stars through stories that could be told and passed on to their children. By coming into relationship with the stars, we come into relationship with our ancestors, the soul of humanity and feel the imaginal connection between heaven and earth. We deepen this connection with the natural order of all life and the feeling of being part of something larger and more vast than we could ever dream. Bypassing the rational mind, we come into the language of the soul and awaken to the beat of our ancestral heart.
Olivia has been a practicing astrologer for 34 years and is certified in several forms of astrology including AstroMythology a methodology that explores how our distant ancestors saw and interpreted the movements of the night sky at the dawn of civilization. She is also a Storyteller and Founder of Healing Theatre. Olivia lives in Burnsville and is a member of the Sacred Fire Asheville Community. For more on her astrology practice: livbydesignastrology.com